Thinking of what to write for my next post was a bit of a struggle for me. There is so much going on in sexual addiction and the bombardment of sexual content in our culture, that I have felt a need to change the subject matter of this post twice. I think what is going on now in Social Media needs to be addressed. So, on the heels of my recent trip to Nashville, (to attend a conference and present a workshop) below are 10 alarming, eye-opening facts for you to consider.
If you are a parent of a child/teenager who has their own cell phone, lap top, or easy access to a home computer, I hope you take the time to read some of the following info.
1. What is the “Hook Up Mentality?” – It can mean anything from kissing and touching to oral sex or intercourse.
2. Most “hook ups” involve one or both of the participants drinking or drunk.
3. What is Sexting? – A current trend among an increasing number of teens. It involves texting sexual info. (photos or words) to one another. Recent studies show almost 50% of all teens participate in “sexting,” risking social and legal repercussions. Take a look at some cyber speak: the number 8 represents Oral Sex. 9/99 – Parent is watching. / – Parent is no longer watching. FB – F*** Buddy. FWB – Friends with Benefits. GAP? – Got a picture?. IPN – I’m Posting Naked. MOS – Mom over shoulder. P&C – Private and confidential.
4. 12 – 17 year olds are becoming the largest group viewing porn on line.
5. 1 in 5 mobile searches are for pornography.
6. the first exposure to porn among men is 12 years old.
7. 6 out of 10 girls have been exposed to porn by the age of 18.
8. 71% of teens hide online behavior from their parents.
9. 68% of young adult men and 18% of women use porn at least once a week.
And last but not least, #10. The porn industry generates $13 billion dollars each year in the US.
(All the info. listed above came from these 2 web sites for any follow-up or reference check info. www.LifeCounselingSolutions.com, and CovenantEyes.com)
Thanks for checking in.